Saturday, 9 July 2011

Gifting Forward

At the start of this year I responded to a Handmade-Gift-It-Forward post from a facebook friend.
The first five people to comment on her post would get something
handmade by her as a gift sometime within this year.
But, in turn,
they must also re-post this same offer on their own wall
and gift-it-forward to five other people. 

I was surprised to see that only 3 people,
including myself, had responded to her post. 
I was also surprised to see that only two people responded to my own,
especially considering that I had made a point to say that
it could be something a simple as a batch of home-made cookies. 

Well...
six months later,
feeling guilty because I still hadn't finished the gifts for my pledges,
I now understand that all those other people were not necessarily uninterested
in receiving or gifting handmade.
They must have had enough forsight to realize that sometimes life gets in the way and things go undone.
And,
guilt about promises unkept is a nagging beast! 

--------------------------

I am now very happy and relieved
to have finally finished the gifts that I promised.

--------------------------


Jason's Tobasco Bottle
(pre-grout)
 
The first is for my cousin, Jason, a very gregarious and impulsive young man. 
This was designed specially, including the substrate, with him in mind.
Knowing Jason, I have created my own meaning for the imagery in the piece. 
But, art is subjective and I don't want to influence how he interperets it.  
I'm sure he will enjoy creating his own story to give meaning to the abstract design on this Tobasco bottle.
It will be interesting to someday compare our thoughts on the subject.


Jason's Tobasco Bottle
(post-grout)

The second is for my neice, Rachel, a young, expecting mother.
Since she already owns the Secret Garden mosaic mirror,
I decided to create something other than a mosaic for her.

Rachel's Talisman
Purple was a must - her favorite color. 
The small beads and claw-like shell dangles were
clustered in threes to represent she, and he, and the expected baby.
And, the central spiral represents her feminine power, the pregnant belly, journrying, balance... and much more.
I hope she will enjoy it's meaning and purpose!